Posted: 08.04.20 at 23:54 by The Editor
Location: Ashwater nr Holsworthy
3 fire appliances from Holsworthy, Hatherleigh and Okehampton were mobilised following a call from the occupant of a property reporting a chimney fire but saying they had smoke within their property too.
Not long after the initial crew arrived on scene they confirmed that whilst this had initially started as a chimney fire, involving a wood burning stove, it had also spread to the fire surround and partition wall in the ground floor living room.
Crews worked well and quickly to prevent any further fire spread by removing the wood burning stove to access the effected areas and extinguish the fire with chimney gear, a hose reel jet and small tools, before using a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots. Once satisfied that the fire was extinguished and the area made safe, duty of care was left with the occupants. Damage was confined to the fire surround area only and there were no casualties.